Facing It
My black face fades,
hiding inside the black granite.
I said I wouldn't
dammit: No tears.
I'm stone. I'm flesh.
My clouded reflection eyes me
like a bird of prey, the profile of night
slanted against morning. I turn
this way—the stone lets me go.
I turn that way—I'm inside
the Vietnam Veterans Memorialhalf-expecting to find
my own in letters like smoke.
I touch the name Andrew Johnson
I see the booby trap's white flash.
Names shimmer on a woman's blouse
but when she walks away
the names stay on the wall.
Brushstrokes flash, a red bird's
wings cutting across my stare.
The sky. A plane in the sky.
A white vet's image floats
closer to me, then his pale eyes
look through mine. I'm a window.
He's lost his right arm
inside the stone. In the black mirror
a woman’s trying to erase names:
No, she's brushing a boy's hair.
This by far has got to be one of my most favorite poems yet. The author uses a ton of images that really makes it seem like I was in the Vietnam war. However, this is not the only thing great about the poem I like the main message to show how the only thing that these men who fought hard is get a stone with a name on it. I think personally that this is not right but, that is the way the government works, if you fight and die you are just remembered by a name and then replaced with another fool. In conclusion, the poem to me is power full because its a man speaking out to tell the truth and explain in detail what military life is truly like.
This by far has got to be one of my most favorite poems yet. The author uses a ton of images that really makes it seem like I was in the Vietnam war. However, this is not the only thing great about the poem I like the main message to show how the only thing that these men who fought hard is get a stone with a name on it. I think personally that this is not right but, that is the way the government works, if you fight and die you are just remembered by a name and then replaced with another fool. In conclusion, the poem to me is power full because its a man speaking out to tell the truth and explain in detail what military life is truly like.
No comments:
Post a Comment